Position: Program Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
About Franciscan Mission Service
Inspired by the examples of St. Francis and St. Clare, Franciscan Mission Service shares and receives God’s unconditional love across borders through a way of life that centers marginalized voices and focuses on living out the Gospel values of intercultural encounter, radical inclusion, authentic humility, and transformative justice.
The Program Manager will manage the Overseas Lay Mission (OLM) Program, one to two-week domestic and international short-term mission and global awareness trips, alumni relations, and some aspects of the one-year DC Service Corps (DCSC) program. The Program Manager will consistently communicate and promote the philosophy, policies, and practices of Franciscan Mission Service.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Oversee at least one direct report in Washington, DC (Programs Associate).
- Oversee all international lay missioners.
Lay Missioner Discernment and Recruitment
- Create and lead recruitment strategy.
- Coordinate all aspects of Discernment Days (“come and see” events and interviews for missioner candidates).
Lay Missioner Formation and Re-entry Retreat
- Coordinate the 3-month Formation and 2-week Re-Entry Retreat.
- Organize weekly ministry opportunities in the DC area for Formation candidates.
- Arrange regular one-on-one check-ins with each candidate offering pastoral support.
Support and Accompaniment of International Lay Missioners
- Coordinate and conduct communications with missioners abroad: regular correspondence, email, video calls, navigating emergencies.
- Manage missioner quarterly reporting and self-reflection documentation to staff.
- Oversee all missioner paperwork, health insurance, background checks, medical clearances, language school, visas, plane tickets, monthly stipends, etc.
Short-term Mission and Global Awareness Trips
- Promote, coordinate and lead international trips including logistics, programming, reflections, communication with participants, etc.
- Design and facilitate week-long formation curriculum and week-long re-entry programming for the OFM Brothers Walking Together Program.
- Participate in FMS events, including the annual gala and mission appeals.
- Assist Executive Director/staff with other responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications and Experience Desired
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A demonstrated familiarity with and appreciation of the Franciscan Charism, Catholic Social Teaching, and the Catholic faith.
- Demonstrated personal spiritual life. Comfortable leading a faith-based team in communal prayer.
- At least one year of mission or work experience in a cross-cultural international setting.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area for in-person work with one day per week of remote work available.
- Ability and willingness to work from a non-traditional work environment for 3 months of the year (at the FMS missioner house vs. the FMS office).
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally and domestically (2-6 trips per year).
- Spanish language proficiency preferred, but not required.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. FMS offers outstanding benefits, including 20 accrued annual vacation days, 13 accrued annual sick days, and 15 paid holidays.
FMS encourages applications, even if one’s experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are seeking someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. This is an opportunity for a talented leader to grow in leadership and to deepen FMS’ mission. The Program Manager will become part of a collaborative and supportive team focused on faith-based justice and will work in a culture that supports one’s holistic well-being.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Executive Director Liz Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org.