Information about the organization
Mt. Irenaeus, a Franciscan Mountain retreat community, is an independent non-profit organization located in Western New York. Its primary service is to the St. Bonaventure University Community, but our reach goes well beyond. From our mission statement, we are a community committed to simple, joyful, healing communion with God and all creation through contemplation and the communal experience of God’s justice, love and peace in contemporary everyday life.
Mt Irenaeus is currently looking for a Director of Advancement to join its team supporting the Life and Ministry lived out at Mt. Irenaeus. We recently completed a strategic planning process that will have us looking at welcoming others into the community, building new facilities, and acquiring land. These initiatives call for us to hire a seasoned advancement professional to engage our friends and donors to support this expanded way of life.
The Advancement Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Mountain’s fundraising efforts, including the Annual Fund, Mountain Auction, Giving Tuesday, Major Gift campaigns, and Planned Giving, as well as other initiatives that arise. Working closely with our friends and donors, the candidate would be expected to develop a relationship with major gift prospects and enter into a process of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. The candidate will report to the Executive Director, and work very closely with all members of the team, including the resident community, staff, board of trustees, and volunteers.
- Manage a portfolio to move donors through all phases of fundraising.
- Responsible for a yearly fundraising goal.
- Responsible for a regular monthly schedule of personal solicitations with major donors.
- Works closely with Mountain Leadership to cultivate and solicit major gifts.
- Leads content direction and creation of all campaigns, with the support of staff and volunteers.
- Works closely with the Advancement Committee of the Board.
- Works closely with Communications and Advancement Services Coordinator on broadly distributed communications and moves management data in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong appreciation and attraction to the life and ministry of Mt. Irenaeus.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- A commitment to the mission of Mt. Irenaeus and a willingness to enter ongoing formation into the Mountain life.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of experience successfully soliciting gifts.
- Proven success in fundraising and major gift solicitation.
- Perceptive, empathetic, energetic and positive personality and must enjoy meeting and developing a rapport with people.
- High motivation for success coupled with diplomacy, tact and consistent follow through.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, analytical abilities, and technical competence.
- Willingness to travel and work outside traditional hours.
- Professional training in development, graduate degree and/or CFRE certification is preferred.
- Fully adept at Microsoft office tools, and ability to use Raiser’s Edge donor management system.
How to Apply
If you have an interest in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to
Mike Fenn at MFenn@sbu.edu
- This position may be performed remotely, from our offices located on St. Bonaventure University’s campus, or at Mt. Irenaeus.
- If working remotely, in order to authentically speak to prospects and donors about the life and ministry, candidate will be expected to spend time at Mt. Irenaeus, located in Friendship NY, with some frequency.
- Travel required for local, regional and national donor meetings, On the Road prayer gatherings, and other events.
- Use of personal devices (cell phone, personal computer, etc) may be necessary to maintain business operations.