Information about the organization
Franciscans International (FI) is an international non-governmental human rights organization, established in 1989, in General Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council. Its staff consists of professionals of diverse backgrounds working to translate grassroots voices in human rights advocacy action at the United Nations level. FI seeks to promote and protect human rights and environmental justice.
- The Executive Director (ED) is appointed by the International Board of Directors (IBD) and approved by the Conference of the Franciscan Family. The ED reports to the IBD.
- The ED is the official representative of Franciscans International (FI) at the United Nations and is responsible for the leadership, daily management, administration, and coordination of FI.
- The ED attends all IBD meetings as an ex-officio non-voting member.
- The ED’s term of office lasts for a period of three years, renewable for a second and third term for a total of not more than nine years.
- Manages the operations of FI in a sustainable way, including personnel, finances and all material resources, as well as the maintenance of appropriate archives for the organization;
- Oversees advocacy strategy and programs and serves as the official representative of FI at the UN and its member organizations;
- Provides leadership to staff, ensuring they understand the strategy and direction of FI;
- Builds Team identity and ensures ongoing Franciscan formation;
- Manages all staffing requirements, including performance measurement and the appointment and dismissal of staff;
- Promotes effective communication and ensures publications and information are available in various languages;
- Ensures contact with the Franciscan Family in particular with the major superiors, those active on the local level in the area of Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation and other Franciscan Institutions;
- Promotes and leads networking with other Civil Society Organisations in the advancement of FI initiatives;
- Presents reports and other documents in fulfilment of legal obligations;
- Prepares and presents the FI annual report;
- Prepares the annual budget as well as quarterly financial reports and submits them to the IBD for approval;
- Oversees the fundraising program of FI, donor relations and project reporting.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in working at an international level with respect to the Franciscan Family as a whole or the particular part of the Franciscan Family to which the applicant belongs.
- Minimum 5 years of experience of service in some capacity with respect to human rights, public policy advocacy, or Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a senior position, leading a team and programmes. Personal and professional skills
- Ability to set strategic vision and manage others to help achieve it. Ability to think creatively, initiate and complete projects and plans.
- Commitment to creating an intellectually challenging and supportive work environment for the staff. Ability to lead, motivate and facilitate a talented team to collaborate in delivering coordinated strategic advocacy.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with the team, partners, experts, and consultants and to facilitate communication among staff and partners.
- Ability to guide the team and organisation through change if and when required.
- Ability to communicate to a wide-range of audiences, both at the UN and with the Franciscan Family, especially with the members of the CFF.
- Capacity to plan, prioritize, and manage multiple, sometimes competing, demands efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment. Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to supervise the proper financial management of a multifaceted institution.
- Excellent level of oral and written English is required; fluency in Spanish is highly desired. Proficiency in French and Portuguese is an asset.
How to Apply
To apply, prospective candidates must be members of the Catholic or Anglican Franciscan Family and provide the following by 31 March 2023, in English:
- Résumé or curriculum vitæ
- Cover letter
- Letter of support from their respective Major Superior (Provincial, Custos, National Minister, etc.).
Applications and any related questions are to be addressed to email@example.com
For more information about the organization and our work, please visit https://franciscansinternational.org