Information about the organization
We’re your local, non-profit, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) vegetable farm sponsored by the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany.
If “fresh” produce traveling down hundreds of miles of highway to your dinner table doesn’t sound appealing, visit us and get to know the people who grow your food. It’s a labor of love and one taste will make you a believer!
Nutrition is more important than ever and eating fresh, nutrient-rich food is an excellent way to contribute to your overall health and well-being. Canticle Farm’s wide selection of Certified Naturally Grown vegetables are available at affordable prices for all to purchase and enjoy. Twice weekly harvests guarantee you receive the freshest, locally grown produce selected at its peak of ripeness. Choose your favorite vegetables during spring, summer, fall and winter — yes, winter too.
Each season is a gift allowing us to grow 45 types of vegetables — a total of 90 varieties including carrots, lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach, kale, radishes, leeks, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, herbs, koosa, lettuce, kale, Asian greens, cabbage, kohlrabi, summer and winter squash, green beans, garlic, shallots, broccolini, Brussels sprouts, leeks, celeriac, beets and many more.
Canticle Farm, is a Franciscan, 501(c)3, Certified Naturally Grown accredited vegetable-producing farm located in Allegany, NY seeking a hardworking, self-motivated individual to supervise and participate in the day-to-day farm operations. This individual should possess community supported agriculture farming experience, along with excellent supervisory and decision-making abilities. The position is full time, year-round with benefits.
- Performing outdoor manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Maintenance of farm property and equipment. Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
- Handling heavy machinery, including tractor use and changing out various tractor attachments.
- Supervision of and side-by-side work with farmworkers and volunteers. Ability to model team leadership and collaboration, while upholding Canticle Farm’s employee policies, ensuring staff understand expectations and to efficiently keep farm staff on task.
- Organize weekly CSA shareholder distribution during spring, summer and fall share seasons.
- Assist with the recruitment and cross-training of new staff members.
- Ability to do all farm-related tasks including, but not limited to greenhouse activities (seeding and transplant care), field preparation, cultivation, irrigation, foliar feeding, mulching, and harvesting.
- Implementation and understanding of the farm’s crop-plan and related records.
- Preparing budgets and analyzing operations, crops, and financial documents to creatively and constantly streamline efficiencies. Ability to consider various revenue streams and adapt to changing market needs.
- Corresponding and collaborating daily with the farm President meeting weekly administrative, grant, fundraising, and capital improvement deadlines.
- Processing, distribution and marketing of produce through on-farm sales, seasonal CSAs and Saturday farmers’ markets.
- Grow vegetables using Certified Naturally Grown (CNG) guidelines, ensuring annual compliance.
- Embodies the Mission of Canticle Farm to all staff, volunteers, customers and community members both personally and professionally.
Qualifications and Experience Required
● Willingness to work in all weather conditions. Capacity to lift up to 70 lbs.
● Complete tasks requiring repetitive up and down movement associated with working on hands and knees.
● Previous experience in the farming industry. Working long hours on location.
● Great communication and collaboration skills with an ability to adapt to changes in job requirements.
● Passionate about growing nutritious vegetables for our community.
● Willingness to embrace a Franciscan spirit of humility, hospitality, and care for the most vulnerable.
● Business management experience preferred. Valid driver’s license and vehicle.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Rolling process for applicant review.