Position: Executive Director
About St. Francis Retreat House
St. Francis Retreat House (SFRH) is seeking an Executive Director to lead our team. Located in the beautiful Lehigh Valley (Easton PA), Saint Francis Retreat House ministry embraces the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi, and is committed to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the message of God’s love for all people. In this Franciscan environment of hospitality and compassionate concern we seek to provide retreats and other spiritual programs in response to contemporary needs in a peaceful atmosphere for those desiring spiritual nourishment, growth and renewal.
The Executive Director will lead the organization, elevate its visibility within the local community and build an exceptional team dedicated to continuing its important mission in an environment grounded in Franciscan Charism.
While balancing the temporal and spiritual needs of our guests, the operational responsibilities include delivery of guest services for hosted, sponsored and private retreats, fundraising, general administration and financial integrity. Experience in the hospitality and/or retreat industry with a successful track record in management and leadership positions are essential requirements. Management experience that demonstrates collaboration and collegiality will also be important considerations.
The new Executive Director position will be a proactive representative of St. Francis Retreat House internally and externally and will be comfortable interacting regularly with customers and retreat guests (especially high schools), staff, volunteers, donors, and the Franciscan friar community. In addition to recruiting skills, the successful candidate will also have a track record of developing management capabilities from within, inspiring associates to a high level of performance and holding them accountable to performance and standards. A practical understanding of organizational development and finances is desired.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Determine overall strategic direction and execution plan for SFRH both for the immediate and long-term sustainability of the ministry.
- Ensure hospitable delivery of services for hosted, sponsored and private retreats to St. Francis Retreat House’s various constituent groups.
- Lead the staff of SFRH to ensure they are exceeding guest expectations in the providing of retreat services.
- Ensure standard HR policies, procedures, and protocols are in place.
- Develop a cohesive team working in an operating atmosphere of trust, transparency and grounded in Franciscan Values.
- Enhance the visibility of the SFRH in the Greater Lehigh Valley and surrounding communities through marketing, planning, communications and outreach. Strengthen relationships with local Catholic parishes and other faith-based community organizations.
- Seek out strategic opportunities to build and strengthen programs at the retreat house.
- Develop a strong, collaborative and supportive relationship with the local friar community to ensure their needs are being met.
- Lead, direct and participate in fundraising and capital campaign strategies/efforts on behalf of the Retreat House
- Prepare an annual operating and capital budget, ensuring overall financial integrity including financial practices and reporting, as well as achievement of budget.
- Knowledge of technology including, Windows, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks online, website management and social media a plus.
Qualifications and Experience Desired
- Retreat Center/ Hospitality/ Conference Center management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field
- 10 years of leadership experience
- Professional certification as required (CPR/First Aid Certified, VIRTUS Certified or willing to complete these certifications.)
- Experience hiring and managing a diverse staff to meet strategic goals
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Collaborative management style
- Finance, HR, and strategy development experience
- Alignment with Franciscan Catholic Values
- Experience with a Catholic (especially Franciscan) ministry
- Experience working with a governance Board (preferably non-profit)
Interested candidates can send cover letter and resume to Shpuccino@comcast.net.
The compensation package for this role includes competitive pay and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience Further details will be provided as the interview process unfolds.